![]() |
| Our Camping Holiday cover |
In previous articles I've shown the compilation The Caravan Family and also Our House on Wheels. This time it's the turn of Our Camping Holiday.
The stories featured are:
- An Autumn Outing
- A Friend On The Road
- An Adventure And A Surprise
- All Together
- The Caravan Dragon
- "Deer!"
- The Pony Fair
- All The Fun!
- Rain!
- The Flood
Because some of the reproductions in my copy are rather washed out - especially with the colour prints, I have decided to scan the ones from The Caravan Family. I'd love to know if others see the same thing in their copy of this book. I've repeated the original art for the fairground ride below to show some difference between the original and the printed version. The colour of image of Colin the terrier (below) was used on the cover of Animals: Stories and pictures (which was also published by Blackie) which I've yet to show on this blog. Quite a few images are used for the 'Caravan' series in fact.
![]() |
| "An Autumn picnic" Inside cover |
![]() |
| Title page |
![]() |
| "Patsy rushed in" Patsy tells the boys (and Colin) the good news |
![]() |
| "Tony explores" Tony is followed by Colin the dog climbing the church tower |
![]() |
| "On the road in Autumn" The car and caravan travel towards a church |
![]() |
| "The wrong caravan!" Tony jumps into the wrong caravan! |
![]() |
| "Colin" The Terrier stands and begs with a bone nearby |
![]() |
| The image used on the title page of the car and caravan |
![]() |
| "Patsy wins a prize" Patsy (and Colin) collect the 5 shillings prize |
![]() |
| "The prize monster" Car and caravan are dressed up as a dragon for the carnival |
![]() |
| "The red deer won't wait" Four deer leaping a bush |
![]() |
| The three children attend a pony fair |
![]() |
| "The fun of the fair" The children on the fairground swing-boats |
![]() |
| "A pony bargain!" A present for Mr. Carew |
![]() |
| "Full speed around!" The Merry-go-round |
![]() |
| Original art |
![]() |
| The family park under chestnut trees in a farmer's field!" Mum |
![]() |
| “Here's a pretty mess!”!" The family wake to a flood around the car and caravan |
![]() |
| "Rescued from the flood"!" The children are rescued on horses |
Other titles in the series:
The Caravan Family containing:
- Our House on Wheels
- Our Camping Holiday
- Our Caravan




















I never realised that the caravan family was in effect four books in one, cherished book of my dad's and enjoyed by myself too, he loved Raymond's illustrations. I too enjoyed the richness they seemed to give from the page. I've found it interesting to see the contrast between the originals and the printed versions, oddly the printed ones seem better to me, but that's probably nostalgia and the familiarity of the images I know so well in my mind
ReplyDeleteHi 'Anon', Yes they are wonderful images - so reminiscent of times LONG gone! Regarding the differences, we are, of course, looking at a photo of an original but p[resented via the Internet. So the colours will be different but I found them sufficiently different to want to comment - and seeing any Raymond Sheppard artwork is a joy!
ReplyDeleteThanks for writing, ~Norman