Sunday 20 May 2018

Raymond Sheppard and Pictorial Encyclopaedia of Scientific Knowledge

I wrote in 2012 how I was pointed to some - till then - unidentified artwork by Frank Bellamy which led to me discovering the two titles "The Pictorial Encyclopedia" and "The Pictorial History Book"

Well, a recent routine search led me to seeing, rather than reading about some Sheppard artwork about which I knew nothing and it appears in "The Pictorial Encylopaedia of Scientific Knowledge". I saw it in black and white, but knew, if it was the same series as mentioned, it would be in that strange "off colour", when it arrived. I ordered a copy - God bless Abebooks! I couldn't find a copy of one with its dustjacket, but online, in Spain of all places, I saw this:

Dustjacket and book

The Pictorial Encyclopaedia of Scientific Knowledge (Editorial board: Dr. Montagu H. Clifford, I. S. Dear,  Charles Harvey, E S Wolff) London: Sampson Low, Marston & Co., [1956]

The Pictorial Encyclopaedia of Scientific Knowledge, p6
This shows Sheppard credited

The Pictorial Encyclopaedia of Scientific Knowledge, p225

The Pictorial Encyclopaedia of Scientific Knowledge, p226

The Pictorial Encyclopaedia of Scientific Knowledge, p227
The Pictorial Encyclopaedia of Scientific Knowledge, p228

If you look very clearly, after clicking to enlarge the images, Sheppard clearly signed the work leaving me in no doubt!

No comments:

Post a Comment