Saturday 22 December 2012

Raymond Sheppard and Seal Morning - Part One

Raymond Sheppard (1913-1958)

I have been a fan of Raymond Sheppard for many years (how long ago was 1969?) when I tripped over this quite tatty paperback version of Rowena Farre's Seal Morning
Seal Morning
Hidden in this unassuming paperback were such fantastic pencil drawings that they stayed with me for the rest of my life. Little did I know that they would send me on an exciting journey.

I own loads of magazines, books, and leaflets by Sheppard, information about his life and have met with his daughter Christine and son Michael. I have been invited to previews of exhibitions displaying his art. I felt it was time with the publication of my article in Illustrators magazine (Issue #2) that I started to share this material more widely and this seems the perfect forum.

Sheppard illustrated in all sorts of media, he produced educational materials, magazine illustrations, book illustrations, advertising posters and artwork as well as many drawings, and paintings for his own pleasure. There are no end of materials to share.

So without further ado, let's get started on my journey with Raymond Sheppard....


Squirrel outline


Squirrel

Seal pup

Seal pup on mat

Seal head

Rabbit jumps wall

Common seal

One of many chapter headings

Rat
This shows how Sheppard's illustrations interact with the page of text.
 A further 10 illustrations from Seal Morning to follow...


No comments:

Post a Comment